The Florida Education Association and MCEA provide the best and broadest employment legal representation available to their members should they ever need it.
This rattles some public officials. That’s why in the last legislative session they revived a failed program to provide liability insurance for educators, earmarking $1.2 million for this in the Florida budget.
Supporters of this program have stated that the politicians’ purpose for passing it is an attempt to eliminate your union – particularly since FEA is the only statewide organization fighting the policies that hurt our students and our profession. Politicians think that this unneeded insurance is going to shrink our numbers, but the truth is your union offers far more than just insurance.And, during the five years the program was in effect a decade ago, our membership grew.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- The program being funded is a failed program, which was in effect from 2001 through 2006 when it was finally repealed. A state study found that during the five years that this program was in effect, Florida spent $5.6 million in premiums to obtain claims payments of only $50,375. Obviously, there was no need for this coverage in the first place.
- Disguised as a liability insurance program, this shady political move is in reality an attack on our union and our insurance programs.
- Lawmakers expect this new coat of paint will fool you into accepting a “gift” that nobody wants or needs. However, we know you’ll see through their political games because you know that looks can be deceiving – and in this case, they are.
- This program was repealed for good reason, and the ulterior motives for why they want to reinstate it are downright insulting: the politicians’ purpose for passing it is an attempt to eliminate your union. The FEA legal programs protect all members in employment-related disputes, employment criminal-related issues and provide access to attorneys for other professional, personal and union matters. They uphold the values and services important to educators like you.
- FEA and MCEA will continue to provide you, and those who stand alongside you, the best legal services available. You’ve worked too hard to have politicians take that away and replace it with an inferior program that they know doesn’t work – all the while trying to sell it to you as a “gift.”
- Politicians are trying to replace your liability insurance with a failed program disguised as a “gift”
- This “gift” is intended to weaken teachers’ voices
- FEA already provides you with the best coverage available
Let’s return this unopened present that we never asked for - and return the money to where it belongs, in our public schools.
Have you joined the MCEA Tiger Cope (Political Action Committee)?