Unemployment Benefits

Unemployment Benefits

Common Questions and Filing Procedures
Who can file for unemployment benefits?
You may file for unemployment benefits if you received a letter from your principal stating that your contract was not renewed for next school year (this is viewed as a permanent layoff) or if you received a letter stating that you are recommended back for employment but there is currently no position available (the unemployment system also views this as a permanent layoff).

Can I file even though I will be getting paychecks this summer?
You are not paid for the summer months by the school district if you are a classroom teacher on a 10-month contract. The paychecks you will be receiving this summer are for work you have already done for the School district during the current school year. You should file for unemployment benefits if you are eligible.

When can I file for unemployment benefits?
 Even though you may have received notification that you do not have a job for next year, you must wait to file until after the end of the last day of school for teachers. You cannot file for benefits until you are officially no longer employed by the School district. It is recommended that you file for benefits immediately after the close of the last school day.

How do I file for unemployment benefits?
There are two ways to file for unemployment benefits. You can place a phone call to a toll-free number and file over the telephone or you can file over the Internet. As unbelievable as it sounds, you cannot walk into an unemployment office and file with written paperwork. Specific information on how to file is covered in detail on the following pages.

How long will it take before I start receiving benefits?
It can take between 4-6 weeks to process a claim and begin receiving benefits. This is why it is so important that you file immediately as soon as you are eligible to do so. Unemployment benefits are retroactive, so you will receive benefits for the time it takes to process your claim with the exception of the first week of request. You will receive no compensation for the first week of your unemployment benefits eligibility.

Is there anything else I need to know about this process?
After 1-2 weeks from the date you filed your claim, the State will send you a wage transcript that shows your income for the previous year. It will specify who you worked for and include your gross income. You will receive a second sheet telling you to call the Unemployment Office on a certain day to claim your benefits. You should make sure you call when requested to do so. You must call back every 2 weeks to continue your benefits. You will receive a statement card in the mail telling you when to call.

How to File for Unemployment Benefits

You will need the following information available before filing your claim:
  • Your correct social security number 
  • The names, addresses, and phone numbers of all employers* 
  •  The dates you worked and total earnings (gross earnings) from each employer**
  • Earnings for the week since 12:01 am Sunday**
  • Driver’s license, State Identification Card number, voter registration number or other type of ID that could verify your identity 
  • If you are not a U.S. citizen, your Alien Registration Number and work permit expiration date 
  • Your DD-214 form (if you were in the military within the last 2 years) 
  • SF-50 form or SF-8 form and check stubs or W-2 proof of earnings (if you are a federal employee)

* Call personnel (219-1200 x30242) to get your dates of employment. School District address: Martin County School District, 500 E Ocean Blvd., Stuart FL 34994.

** Call payroll (219-1200 x30233) to get your total (gross) earnings, weekly earnings and hourly rate of pay.

Over the Phone: You may call any of the following One-Stop Career Centers to get information on filing for unemployment benefits over the phone:
  • Fort Pierce One-Stop Career Center: 2415 S 29th Street, Fort Pierce, FL 34981; 462-6100.
  • Indiantown One-Stop Career Center: 16491 SW Farm Road, PO Box 1218, Indiantown, FL 34956; 597-2686.
  • Okeechobee One-Stop Career Center: 123 SW Park Street, Okeechobee, FL 34974; 863-462-5350 or 863-462-5357
  • .Port St. Lucie One-Stop Career Center: 9334 S US1, Port St. Lucie, FL 34952; 398-2800.
  • Stuart One-Stop Career Center: 900 SE Central Parkway, Stuart, FL 34994; 223-2653.
  • Vero Beach One-Stop Career Center: 1404 Old Dixie Highway, Vero Beach, FL 32960; 569-0355.
Over the Internet: 
  1. Go to the following web address: http://www2.myflorida.com
  2. Click on "Job Seekers”
  3. Under Employment Programs, click on "Unemployment Compensation” and then "Unemployment Claim Filing”
  4. Click on the button indicating whether you want the claim form in English or Spanish
  5. Carefully read the next page and click on the box that states, "I have all information available”. Continue reading and click on the appropriate boxes. Finish reading and click on "I agree”. Go to the next screen.
  6.  Fill in the space for your residential zip code. Click on "Click Mouse Here to Proceed”.
  7. Fill in the required information. Click no to the question, "Are you a member in good standing of a labor union seeking work through a hiring hall?” When you have finished click on "Click Mouse Here to Proceed”.
  8. Fill in all the personal information. Then proceed to the next screen. 
  9. Read the statement and use the pull down menu to find the list of Employment Services. Find the one closest to your home and click on it. Then click on "Click Mouse Here to Proceed”.
  10. Fill in the requested information. You do not have to provide more than one type of identification. When finished go to the next screen.
  11. Fill in the Civilian Employer Information. When you come to the question "What type of business is this employer in?” select "MISC-SERVICES”. When you come to the statement "Reason for Separation” click on "PERMANENT LAYOFF”. For the question "Are you scheduled to return to work with this employer?” enter "no”. For the statement "Briefly summarize your reason for separation from this employer”, if you are non-renewed answer "Not offered an additional contract”. If you are recommended for employment but there is no position available answer "No current position available”. When finished with this section, go to the next screen. 
  12. Fill out the requested information and proceed through the next several screens.
  13. Under "Desired Employment Information” pull down the menu and select "PROFESSIONAL, TECHNICAL, AND MANAGERIAL OCCUPATIONS”. Then click on "Click Mouse Here to Proceed”.
  14. Under "Desired Employment Information” use the pull down menu and select "EDUCATION” as an occupation sub-category. 
  15. On the next screen use the pull down menu to select the appropriate occupation, "TEACHER” (there are several types of categories listed). Select the one that best represents your specific job. Then proceed to the next screen. 
  16. Read the following page carefully then proceed to the next screen. 
  17. On the "Certifications” page, read each statement carefully and click on "I agree”. Proceed to the next screen. 
  18. You should carefully read the preview of your claim and the information you will be submitting. Correct any errors. Print off a copy of this page for your records. Once you have verified that all the information is correct, click on "Click Here to Complete Claim” and the claim will be submitted. 
  19. You will receive a confirmation number on the next screen. Print your confirmation number and keep it in a safe place. In 2 to 3 days after you have filed your claim call the local unemployment office to determine if your claim has been downloaded from the Internet to the State system. Once it is on the State system the adjudicators will review it and send out official correspondence to you. Keep all these papers and follow the instructions given.